What Should You Do if You Get a DWI in New Jersey but Live Out of State?

People across the United States are free to travel as they please from one state to another, unimpeded by the law. Each state is responsible for issuing driver’s licenses to its citizens and enforcing traffic laws within its borders. When a driver is charged with a DWI, they often face strict penalties, including fines and a suspension of their driver’s license. These penalties will still apply even if you are charged in a state where you do not live.

Your home state that issued your license is the only state with authority to suspend or revoke your license entirely. This makes getting a DWI in another state somewhat tricky. Leaving New Jersey after getting a DWI will not make those charges go away. You should seek out a New Jersey lawyer familiar with the state’s DWI laws for help. A local New Jersey lawyer can work with you so you can sort through your DWI charges and return home.

If you live outside New Jersey but were charged with a DWI while visiting, your charges will absolutely follow you back home. States tend to work together on these matters, and your home state will likely impose penalties for a DWI in New Jersey. Our New Jersey DWI defense attorneys can help you. Call the Law Offices of John J. Zarych at (609) 616-4956 to set up a free and private consultation about your case today.

Hire a New Jersey Attorney to Handle Your DWI for Out-of-State Drivers

If you are charged with a DWI in New Jersey but live in another state, you should hire an attorney immediately. More specifically, you should hire an attorney from New Jersey. You may think it is easier and make more sense to hire an attorney that is local to you. You may even already have a lawyer back home. However, lawyers are not licensed to practice law in every state. Each state may certify attorneys as they see fit and different states may have somewhat different rules and regulations. Your attorney from home may not be licensed to practice in New Jersey.

Even if you know a lawyer from your home state licensed to practice law in New Jersey, it is still a smart idea to hire a lawyer who actively works in the state. States have their own laws regarding DWIs and court proceedings. While many of these rules are the same or similar across the country, there may be rules unique to New Jersey that your lawyer is unfamiliar with because they do not practice here very often.

A local attorney will be more familiar with New Jersey’s laws regarding DWIs. They will also be more familiar with court rules and procedures. Different judges may impose their own rules when running a courtroom. Some judges take a more relaxed approach, while others are extremely strict. A local lawyer is more likely to be familiar with the local judges and be more prepared to enter a courtroom with you. Call our Atlantic County DWI defense attorney today.

How New Jersey Penalties Affect Defendants from Other States

People from other states drive through New Jersey every day. Many often work in New Jersey but live in a neighboring state. Tourists also come from all over the country to vacation in New Jersey’s beach towns. If you are charged with a DWI while visiting or working in New Jersey, those charges will follow you back to your home state.

Nearly every state, including New Jersey, is a part of the Interstate Driver’s License Compact. While New Jersey can charge you with a DWI, it may not have the authority to suspend or revoke a license issued by a different state. Under the Compact, New Jersey will inform your home state of the DWI and your home state may impose a suspension of your license. Similarly, other DWI penalties like ignition interlock devices and restrictions on alcohol consumption may also be imposed by your home state.

Even if, for whatever reason, your home state does not suspend your license, New Jersey can still prevent you from driving within its borders. This is very problematic for people who work in New Jersey and need to drive there every day.

If you have been charged with a DWI in New Jersey, but live in a different state, speak with our Cape May DWI defense lawyers for help.

Returning to New Jersey to Deal with Your DWI Charges

If you are charged in New Jersey but live somewhere else, you may have to return to New Jersey to face your charges. For some people who live nearby, this may not be a huge inconvenience. However, if you were charged with a DWI while in New Jersey on vacation, but you live on the other side of the county, returning to deal with your DWI charges may be an expensive and time-consuming endeavor.

Courts typically do not like to proceed without the defendant present. However, it may be possible to waive your appearance at certain hearings and allow your attorney to handle the situation. This may save you the trouble of having to constantly travel back and forth between New Jersey and your home state. However, some hearings require your presence in order to move forward. You must be present at things like your arraignment or when you enter a pela. If you are convicted of the DWI, you must also be present at sentencing.

Speak to our Haddonfield DWI defense lawyers about your case today. We can help you figure out if you need to return to New Jersey or if our team can handle the case in your absence.

Contact Our New Jersey Attorney for Out-of-State Drivers Charged with DWIs

If you or someone you know was charged with a DWI in New jersey while temporarily visiting the state, you might need to return to deal with the charges. Call the Law Offices of John J. Zarych’s New Jersey DWI Lawyers at (609) 616-4956 to get help from our qualified team of attorneys.

Our Awards & Recognitions

atlantic city criminal defense lawyer
atlantic city criminal defense lawyers
best atlantic city criminal lawyer
atlantic city criminal lawyer
atlantic city criminal lawyers
atlantic city criminal defense lawyer
atlantic city criminal defense lawyers
best atlantic city criminal lawyer
atlantic city criminal lawyer
atlantic city criminal lawyers

Recent Articles

Free and confidential initial consultations are available 24/7.
Call (609) 445-3533.

Get a Free Case Review

Atlantic County Office
1555 Zion Road Suite 201
Northfield, NJ 08225
Toll Free: (866) 330-4951
Phone: (609) 641-2266
Fax: (609) 641-3677
Cape May Office
106 North Main Street
Cape May Court House, NJ 08210
Toll Free: (866) 330-4951
Phone: (609) 465-6500
Fax: (609) 641-3677
Wildwood Office
3309 New Jersey Avenue
Wildwood, NJ 08260
Toll Free: (866) 330-4951
Phone: (609) 522-3778
Fax: (609) 641-3677
Atlantic City Office
1125 Atlantic Ave Suite 500
Atlantic City, NJ 08401
Toll Free: (866) 330-4951
Phone: (609) 344-9958
Fax: (609) 641-3677
Atlantic City criminal lawyer