There are three basic types of warrants in New Jersey: search warrants, which authorize police officers to search specific properties; arrest warrants, which authorize police officers to arrest specific individuals for specific offenses; and bench warrants, which are issued when a defendant fails to appear in court, enabling him or her to be placed under arrest. Depending on the circumstances, it may be possible to have a bench warrant lifted or dismissed by paying certain fines or making court appearances. With skilled and strategic legal representation, you may be able to avoid jail time. The Atlantic City defense lawyers at the Law Offices of John J. Zarych take a closer look the process of getting your warrant recalled, explaining how to pay a bench warrant in New Jersey.

Can You Pay Off a Bench Warrant in New Jersey?

The short answer to this question is yes, potentially. However, the slightest misstep could lead to unintended legal consequences, making it dangerous to proceed without an attorney to guide you. If you are aware of an outstanding bench warrant against you in New Jersey, the best way to protect yourself is to contact a knowledgeable criminal lawyer, like the New Jersey defense attorneys at the Law Offices of John J. Zarych, who can guide you through the arrest warrant process while limiting your criminal exposure.

If you have determined that there is an outstanding bench warrant for your arrest in New Jersey, you may be able to have the warrant lifted by paying bail. If you do not post bail, the court will not lift your bench warrant. In order to post bail, you will need to make payment arrangements with the appropriate clerk of court or police department. A criminal defense attorney can handle this process for you.

Unfortunately, paying bail is not an option in cases involving no-bail warrants, which generally stem from parole violations or probation violations. In this type of a situation, you will be held in a county jail until the court is able to hear your case. If a family member has been arrested for an alleged violation of probation in New Jersey, you should contact an Atlantic City probation violation lawyer right away.

In addition to paying the bail amount, you may also be required to pay various fines, depending on the court’s orders. It may be possible to pay your fines through a series of smaller installments, though any installment agreement will be subject to the court’s approval. An Atlantic City bail reductions lawyer may be able to assist you in lowering the amount you must pay.

How Do I Take Care of a Warrant without Going to Jail?

If there is a bench warrant or arrest warrant for you in New Jersey, it is in your best interests to contact a competent and trustworthy defense attorney right away for legal assistance. Skilled legal representation gives you the best possible chance of avoiding incarceration and mitigating other penalties, such as fines or suspension of your driver license.

The worst course of action is to simply ignore the outstanding warrant. As long as the warrant remains active, you can be taken into custody by a police officer – and unless it is lifted by the judge, a bench warrant that has been issued for failure to appear will never expire in New Jersey. Until you have been placed under arrest and brought into custody, your bench warrant will remain outstanding and active, making it vital to discuss your options with an experienced defense attorney as soon as possible. The sooner you take effective legal action to address the warrant, the more lenient the resulting penalties or consequences are likely to be.

Atlantic City Bench Warrant Lawyers Serving New Jersey

At the Law Offices of John J. Zarych, we have more than 45 years of combined legal experience representing individuals charged with all types of misdemeanors (disorderly persons offenses) and felonies (indictable crimes) in New Jersey, including sex crimes, weapons crimes, DUI, drug crimes, theft, robbery, burglary, and white collar crimes. If there is a warrant or bench warrant for your arrest for any reason, including failure to appear in court (FTA), we can fight to have the warrant lifted or dismissed. We can also provide assistance with all other aspects of your criminal case, including extradition warrants (out-of-state arrest warrants), warrant hearings, and bail.

To set up a free legal consultation, contact the Law Offices of John J. Zarych online today, or call our law offices at (609) 616-4956. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to help you and your loved ones deal with an arrest or criminal charge in New Jersey.