The attorneys at The Law Offices of John Zarych remain dedicated to our clients during this difficult time. Our office is open and staffed and we are performing free consultations virtually or by phone. If you have been arrested, please do not hesitate to call us.

What Consequences Can I Face if Convicted for Underage Drinking?

The law handles alcohol and drinking in a unique way because alcohol is illegal for some but not others. Most people know that it is illegal to drink alcohol if you are under the age of 21. Not only is consuming alcohol illegal for underage citizens but so is buying it and even simply possessing it under certain circumstances. People arrested for underage drinking are usually teenagers and young college students looking for a good time. Be warned, the consequences of a conviction for underage drinking may follow you well into adulthood.

The consequences for underage drinking will vary depending on the circumstances of your case. For example, drinking with friends in a public park may be punished differently than a conviction for underage drinking while driving. There may be other legal issues surrounding your underage drinking charges. If you purchased the alcohol using a fake I.D., you might face additional penalties. While the consequences of underage drinking can be harsh, they may be avoided if you call for emergency services. Underage drinkers may be immune from prosecution if they call 911 during an emergency.

Underage drinking charges are not the most serious, and many young, convicted defendants have their records later expunged once they turn 18. However, that does not mean the charges should be disregarded. Our Cape May underage drinking defense lawyers can help you fight the charges and hopefully reduce the penalties. To set up a free, confidential legal consultation, contact the Law Offices of John J. Zarych. Call us at (609) 616-4956 to arrange a meeting with our experienced team.

Penalties for Underage Drinking In New Jersey

The consequences for underage drinking are spelled under N.J.S.A. § 2C:33-15. Under the law, an underage person who knowingly possesses or consumes alcohol in a school, on public transit, in a public place, or in a car may be charged with a disorderly persons offense and fined at least $500.

The penalties for underage drinking may vary depending on where the offense occurred. When underage drinking occurs behind the wheel of a car, the court may suspend the defendant’s driving privileges for 6 months. If the defendant is under the age of 17 and therefore too young to even have a driver’s license, the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission will be notified of the suspension. The license suspension will begin to run the day after the defendant turns 17.

There may be additional penalties under New Jersey’s motor vehicle code. According to N.J.S.A. § 39:4-50.14, an underage driver may be penalized for intoxicated driving with a blood alcohol concentration as low as .01%. The driver’s license will be forfeited to the state, and they will be banned from obtaining a driver’s license for at least 30 days but no longer than 90 days. The underage driver may also be ordered to perform community service for at least 15 days but no more than 30. Underage drivers may also face DUI and DWI charges in addition to everything else. These penalties may be imposed in addition to those mentioned above.

The consequences of a conviction for underage drinking can pile up very quickly, especially if you were driving at the time of the offense. Our Haddonfield underage drinking defense attorneys can help you challenge the case against you and try to reduce your penalties.

Using a Fake ID to Buy Alcohol in New Jersey

Not only are there consequences for the underage consumption of alcohol, but there may be additional consequences depending on the way the alcohol was obtained. Alcohol is illegal to buy for people under the age of 21. An underage person caught purchasing alcohol may be subject to legal penalties.

According to N.J.S.A. § 33:1-81, it is unlawful for anyone under the legal drinking age to enter any premises licensed for the sale of alcohol for the purpose of buying or being served alcohol. This includes purchasing alcohol from a liquor store and being served drinks at a bar or restaurant. This also includes misrepresenting your age, like using a fake I.D. to buy the alcohol. An underage defendant may be convicted of a disorderly persons offense and fines $500 or more. These penalties could be in addition to other penalties related to the underage consumption of alcohol.

If you have been charged with any offense related to the underage possession or consumption of alcohol, call our legal team for help. Our Margate underage drinking defense attorneys have the skills and experience to help you defend yourself against these charges.

How Underage Drinking Might Affect Your Driver’s License in New Jersey

Drinking and driving is a very serious concern in the State of New Jersey. Many alcohol-related offenses come with penalties related to driving privileges because the state does not want people drinking and driving. A defendant facing charges for underage drinking could face problems with their driver’s license before they even get their driver’s license.

Underage defendants may face license suspensions under several laws applying to underage drinking. These penalties can be imposed in addition to one another, making for lengthy license suspensions. For example, being caught drinking and driving while underage may result in the suspension of your license for 6 months, even if your BAC was very low.

If your BAC was high enough to be charged with a DUI, you might face penalties, including license suspensions, in addition to the license suspension for the underage drinking offense. Many underage defendants are too young to have driver’s licenses, and they have learner’s permits instead. If this is the case, your license can still be suspended, but the suspension will not kick in until you can legally obtain a driver’s license.

Losing your driving privileges can be a major hindrance. People rely on their ability to drive to get to the places they need to go, like work and school. Our Ocean City underage drinking defense lawyers will help you fight the charges and work to keep your license.

Call Our New Jersey Underage Drinking Defense Attorneys

If you are charged with an offense related to underage drinking, you may need serious legal help. Our New Jersey underage drinking defense attorneys can work to help you minimize the consequences of your charges. Call the Law Offices of John J. Zarych at (609) 616-4956 to set up a free legal consultation.